Administer and manage JVS SoCal’s retirement plans, health, and welfare employee benefit programs, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short/long-term disability, FSA plans. Assures compliance with all applicable state and federal regulation. Responsibilities include coordinating the daily benefits process, enrollments, terminations, and changes. Explaining benefits and overseeing the maintenance of employee benefits files. Assisting in the business development and planning processes with service providers. Compiles, analyzes, and reports data including employee, plan financials for strategic benefits planning and evaluation. Presents information to inform and educate staff. Review benefit eligibility affecting status changes such as department transfers. Synthesize activities of payroll and other departments to achieve accuracy in payroll and billing deductions. Handle third party monthly review and audit-based benefit billings. Serves as a liaison with service providers and brokers in business planning and benefit program interpretation. Heavy utilization of HRIS, Paylocity. Ensures all Agency’s employees are currently enrolled in appropriate benefits plans. Oversees the quality of outsourced activities and to serve as a liaison between JVS SoCal’s employees, brokers, insurance, and retirement plan providers.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Monitors eligibility, limitations, and restrictions of plan participations and ensures compliance with both plan provisions and government requirements.
- Manages the company’s benefits through, Paylocity. Oversee EDI feeds and maintain benefit classes.
- Provides benefit plan interpretation guidance and counsel to employees, executives and managers on the requirements and provisions of benefit programs and assist with the resolution of potential problems.
- Coordinates the design and communication of annual benefit (open) enrollment materials. Drafts legal compliance documentation (SPDs)
- Develops, conducts, and participates in a variety of presentations to inform and educate executives, management, and employees about changes to benefit plans, administrative practices and legislated requirements and programs.
- Assist with the preparation of bid specifications analyze proposals and renewal information and interprets insurance carrier contracts.
- Build and maintain relationships with health and retirement plan provider.
- Responsible for data necessary to complete government compliance activities (5500s, audits, compliance testing, etc.), employee mailings, vendor billings, coordinating data collection and updating numerous reports for management. Assures processes and procedures are in place to capture and maintain consistent and accurate benefit related data. Assists with employee data auditing and reporting.
- Administers and coordinates Federal Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). Works as an intermediary to effectively coordinate all aspect of leave entitlement from the initial processing of leave request to the employees return to work. Fully documents and tracks all FMLA cases via electronic filing system.
- Assist with COVID related communications and processes.
- Conducts individual and group orientation sessions to newly hired agency staff regarding benefits. Ensuring staff make timely informed decisions regarding their onboarding paperwork and benefits. Coordinate and promote health and wellness events and programs.
- Manages and ensures compliance of Sexual/Anti-Harassment training.
- Works with other Human Resources personnel in cross-functional projects and performs all related duties as required.
- Assists with Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) accreditation.
- Knowledge of employee benefits programs
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or related field with an emphasis in business, accounting or finance, or equivalent years professional/analytical
- Minimum of 1-3 years related experience required.
- Prior experience with HRIS and Timekeeping systems, such as ADP and Paylocity.
- Willingness to learn, grow and develop.
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Demonstrated basic knowledge of employee benefit programs, including flexible benefit programs, financial analysis and budgeting.
- Requires strong communication skills, good writing skills, strong customer service and analytical skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products.
- Organizational skills to develop/maintain reporting “standards” where applicable.
- Must be comfortable working independently and making decisions.
- Ability to explain the procedures, guidelines and policies governing agency operations.
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion in handling confidential materials, and sensitivity to changing needs and situations.
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic time-sensitive, high-volume environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral expression to convey information.
- Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, both adopted and pending, affecting employee benefits programs, including COBRA, ERISA, FMLA, ADA, Section 125, and workers’ compensation.
- Working knowledge and experience with Workers’ Compensation and insurance enrollments.
- Strong consultative and presentation skills to ensure high quality customer service.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
Office environment; will require travel to site visits and attendance at out of office meetings. Must be able to operate standard office equipment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a teammate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements due to computer work
- Light to moderate lifting is required
- Ability to uphold the stress of traveling
- Regular, predictable attendance is required; including driven hours as business demands dictate.
JVS SoCal is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
About JVS SoCal:
Founded in 1931, JVS-SoCal is a nonprofit, non-sectarian social service agency, providing job training, career services, mentoring and placement assistance to diverse and multicultural populations, transforming lives and empowering individuals to achieve dignity and economic independence through sustainable employment. JVS SoCal currently serves 40,000 to 50,000 clients annually at over 20 locations throughout Southern California, including Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Orange Counties.