Under the leadership of the JVS SoCal’s executive management team, the Program Director will oversee all aspects of JVS SoCal’s GAIN Program. The program consists of three Region II offices; Chatsworth, Palmdale, Santa Clarita; and one Region VII office in Glendale. The incumbent will work closely with the primary contractor and JVS management team to achieve all program goals and outcomes as outlined in Los Angeles County DPSS-GAIN Contract. The Program Director will lead operations managers, supervisors, and unionized non-exempt employees. Will attend Los Angeles County and project meetings in partnership and establish and lead Region II leadership meetings. Will confer with managers and supervisors to drive performance and focus on process improvement efforts. Must think strategically to address performance improvement plans and provide the leadership to operationalize plans with the daily activities of case managers. Works in a cross functional environment throughout the Agency. Assists in responding to political inquiries and customer issues. Works closely with Human Resources and managers to address staff concerns and promote a positive work environment. Models and coaches staff in respectful and productive behaviors that motivate and support staff. Will communicate constructively when issues arise. Will be required to travel throughout the county and field offices multiple times a week. As part of the JVS management team, will attend senior management meetings. Works with JVS Grants team to respond to RFP’s as a key contributor on the GAIN renewal proposal.
· Leads and oversees program operations in a collective bargaining environment.
· Ensures administration for the CalWorks program in compliance with all contractual state, and federal requirements.
· Assumes complete understanding of Los Angeles County GAIN contract, tracking systems, CalWorks eligibility requirements, service delivery, payment systems, welfare fraud, Child/elder abuse reporting requirements, and civil rights compliance requirements.
- Ensures adherence to legal compliance and the Agency’s policies and procedures.
- Supervises and assists in training and developing staff. Processes payroll, vacation and other time off requests using Agency’s payroll system (Paylocity).
- Develops, writes and provides performance reviews and disciplinary actions for staff in partnership with Human Resources Manager.
· Partners with Human Resources Manager to support the recruitment, hiring, training of staff, meeting the language, culturally diverse and bilingual needs of the program.
· Monitors program performance goals/objectives of each unit and Program office.
· Works with JVS SoCal GAIN staff and prime contractor to ensure quality control and effective utilization of performance data to provide continuous quality improvement.
· Provides training in partnership with Human Resources Manager to JVS Supervisors in performance management, leadership skill development and other topics as required.
· Performs other duties as assigned by management.
QUALIFICATIONS AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
- At least five years experience in leading and managing employees, workforce or public assistance programs, including meeting and exceeding outcomes.
· Experience working in a unionized environment preferred.
- Exceptional skills working in a cross-functional team environment.
- Highly skilled in working on a complex project with multiple stakeholders in several locations.
- The ability to successfully perform in a fast-paced, deadline-driven work environment.
- Required to travel to all JVS SoCal managed GAIN offices, JVS SoCal’s corporate office, and Los Angeles County mandatory trainings.
- Exceptional time management skills.
- Skilled in developing and building relationships with staff, prime contractor and community partners.
- Must be accurate, detailed oriented and possess good follow-through skills.
- Must have good business written and oral communication skills.
- The ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Execute many complex tasks simultaneously.
- Must have excellent customer skills, patience and tolerance in serving others.
- Worked in a diverse environment.
- Experience working with the underserved and underrepresented communities.
- Motivated to lead teams during times of change and transition, building trust in a collaborative work environment.
- Familiar with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) and other databases.
- Must have valid driver license and car insurance with reliable form of transportation.
- Must pass criminal and background screenings prior to hire, during employment, and promotions.
Bachelor’s degree in related field from an accredited college or university required. Master of Business Administration or Master of Public Administration degree, highly preferred.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to, stand, sit; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard reach, stoop and kneel.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include vision requirements due to computer work and driving to various locations and Agency mandated trainings.
- Light to moderate lifting is required. Occasionally lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to withstand frequent travel.
- Considerable walking may be involved.
- Bending, stooping or squatting may be involved.
- Regular, predictable attendance is required including driven hours as business demands dictate.
- Requires local travel on a regular basis for success on the project.
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by management to perform other nonessential assignments and duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.
JVS SoCal is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.