- The GAIN Service Worker (GSW) is an integral part in the GAIN Program.
- A GSW provides comprehensive case management to GAIN participants to ultimately help participants achieve financial independence and secure full-time employment.
- The role of the GSW is to lead the participant through the GAIN process explaining how participating in Welfare-to-Work activities and finding employment will lead to increasingly higher levels-of self-sufficiency, and the benefits and advantages of working. GSW communicate with participants in person, by phone, and by mail.
- They have knowledge to review employment goals and to identify and assist participants in resolving barriers to participation in job search and employment; promote higher level of active engagement and inspire participants to believe that they can be successful and have the life they want.
- Meet performance placements such as job search goals for the unit and office outlined in project and management requirements.
- GSW will schedule appointments, document communication and activities regarding case management and their results.
- This position is in Chatsworth.
General GSW Job Responsibilities:
- Provides participants with a clear understanding of the program and their respective role.
- Motivates, provides encouragement, and supports participants in successfully completing each step/component of the program.
- Serves as the primary linkage between the client, the program regulation services, and as the continuous source of motivational efforts to keep the participants moving toward the employment goal.
- Communicates with eligibility technicians for exchange of relevant case information.
- Refers participants to the appropriate program component based on appraisals, test results, and program policies, and advises participants of program choices.
- Authorizes appropriate level of supportive services per GAIN policy after securing required documentation.
- Monitors progress of participants through the program.
- Conducts “good cause” determination.
- Enters data into LRS/Cal/SAWS.
- Complies with GAIN policy and contract requirements.
- Maintains accurate and timely case records for participants, both hard copy and on the system monthly.
- As assigned/required provides exemption, rural outreach (home visits), participation outreach, and liaison duties.
- Completes and submits reports timely and accurately.
- Participates in internal and external audits including, Expanded Sample, PICO and Civil Rights audits.
E2 LITE Duties:
- Receive and review list from M.I.E and distribute to all GSSs, Ops Manager, Sanction and reception staff.
- Conduct weekly meetings for E2lite/TANF & Expanded sample to review updates and collect verification received.
- Determine due dates and time for each plan of action with GSW during weekly meetings.
- Follow up with GSW on a daily basis to ensure timely action has been taken.
- Follow chain of command as appropriate.
- Update weekly tracking tool with WPR, case summary and weekly follow up by close of business day on Wednesdays.
- Confirm all documentation and general updates on Home Visit outcomes.
- Meet with Quality Assurance Specialist as needed.
- Review and submit cases to Quality Assurance.
Specialist on given due dates. Must attend training throughout the county.
- Must have valid driver license and car insurance with a reliable form of transportation due to client outreach, including home visits assigned by management and the project.
- Must attend mandatory county training throughout the county.
Qualifications and Position Requirements:
- The ability to successfully perform in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented work environment.
- Exceptional Time Management Skills.
- Must be accurate, detailed oriented and possess good follow-through skills.
- Must have good business writing and communication skills.
- The ability to work as a team member and independently.
- Must have excellent customer skills, patience and tolerance in serving others.
- Worked in a diverse environment.
- Experience working with the underserved and underrepresented communities.
- Familiar with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Type a minimum 40 wpm.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by management.
- Must pass criminal and background screenings prior to hire, during employment and promotions.
- High School or GED required with at least three years of case management or employment service experience in a social service environment.
- Associate or bachelor degree highly preferred from an accredited college or university.
- Applicants with college degrees must have at least one year experience.
- Case management internships and volunteer work may be substituted for the one year requirement (college degreed applicants only).
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to, stand, sit; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard reach, stoop kneel to install computer equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include vision requirements due to computer work and driving to various locations and Agency mandated trainings.
- Light to moderate lifting is required. Occasionally lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to uphold the stress of traveling.
- Regular, predictable attendance is required including driven hours as business demands dictate.
- Requires travel and perform home visits in an assigned region as needed by management.
- This job description does not list all the duties of the job.
- You may be asked by supervisors to perform other nonessential assignments and duties.
- You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.
JVS SoCal is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The employee acknowledges and understands the requirements, essential functions and duties of the position.