JVSWorks® programs provide opportunity to individuals with barriers to employment to embark upon a career in a high growth/high demand business sector. In partnership with Southern California’s top banking institutions, our team prepares job seekers for positions in the financial services industry as a first step on a career ladder that offers extraordinary potential. This intensive eight-week program offers targeted job training, placement support and post-employment coaching. JVS BankWork$® has achieved a solid track record in the placement and retention rates of its graduates. JVSWorks programs all include technical training, case management, job placement support and job retention guidance.
Job Description and Duties:
The BankWork$® Instructor’s primary responsibility is to provide coaching and training sessions to participants of the BankWork$® program utilizing existing curriculum and training materials as well as developing additional curriculum in soft skills, business acumen, and job search techniques to support the transition of participants to full employment. Secondary responsibilities include working with the Community Outreach Supervisor and the JVSWorks® Associate Director to recruit, evaluate and screen candidates for enrollment and to provide business outreach to all area banks to develop job opportunities for graduates by cultivating and maintaining relationships with bank recruiters and managers.
- Use provided curriculum materials to deliver Bank training classes responsive to the needs of the banking industry.
- Provide individual and group job search preparation to develop the habits and attitudes needed to be successful in the workplace
- Coach clients in developing job skills, resumes, cover letters etc. and provide clients with job search information including assistance completing on-line applications to individual banks
- Closely coordinate with Program Manager to maximize participant placement in employment in banking positions
- Market program to the community, including banking and financial industry partners
- Work with community partners to recruit and screen applicants for program services
- Interview candidates for enrollment and administer testing to determine eligibility
- Maintain accurate documentation on classroom performance and participation for each student enrolled in the program.
- Delivers instruction at other locations as needed.
- Show demonstrated ability to interact with people of different cultures.
Key Performance Indicators are:
- Number of participants enrolled in the programs
- Participant program completion rate
- Participant placement rate
- Participant job retention rate
- Positive employer feedback and overall satisfaction with hires
Outcomes will be achieved by way of:
Program Training and Support
- Use provided curriculum materials to deliver Bank training classes responsive to the needs of the banking industry
- Deliver “soft” skills, mock interviews, job search readiness and related workshops
- Interact extensively with students, outside agency representatives, management, and staff
- Work with students to create polished resumes for use in the job search process
- Using suitable observation and communication skills, identify participants in need of support and provide them with appropriate coaching, guidance and/or referrals
- Using adult learning principles and appropriate classroom management techniques, ensure:
- A high degree of learning by program participants
- Maintenance of appropriate decorum in the classroom
- Disciplined replication of workplace expectations, including those related to on-time arrival and attendance, attire, comportment and interpersonal interactions
- Achievement of program goals
- Ensure that classrooms are maintained in a safe, neat and orderly fashion
- When training is hosted at a site provided by a program partner, ensure 100% compliance with any rules and regulations to which JVS is subject; maintain a positive and professional relationship with the community partner’s manager and other on-site staff
Coordination with Program Manager
- Provide Program Manager with frequent updates on progress of class and individual participants
- Coordinate with Program Manager any intervention needed to assure participant success
- Participate in planning and execution of graduation/job fair events, including securing employer attendance and participation
- Participate in program graduations, including candidate presentations
- Serve as liaison between program graduates and employers during hiring process
- Conduct employment and income verifications for twelve months following placement
Employer Partner Relations
- Coordinate with employers to facilitate participant placement and job retention
Outreach and Recruiting
- Collaborate with JVS SoCal staff in recruitment, orientation, screening, testing, assessment, and selection of qualified program participants
- Support program outreach and promotional activities and represent assigned JVSWorks programs where relevant
- Make formal and informal presentations to internal and external groups when necessary
- Respond to follow-up requests for information
- Work with Recruiting and Outreach Manager and others regarding the oversight of the process, the gathering of data regarding applicants and following up with qualified applicants
- Assess student eligibility for program to inform referral making process to other programs and resource partners where suitable
Reporting and Monitoring
- Ensure class rosters, attendance, drop sheets and graduation information are collected, accurate and complete
- Ensure 100% compliance with ETP requirements
- Ensure compliance with program requirements and grant agreements
- Verify participant employment and wages following job placement
- Communicate with counterparts who require updates and information and to verify JVSWorks students’ compliance
- Engage in regular contact with JVS AJCC and other community partners to provide and obtain information regarding JVSWorks participants
- Monitor job placements, track student program progress and identify and resolve or recommend action to resolve issues
- Process, complete and/or submit all required paperwork within scope of authority and expertise
- Prepare clear, concise and comprehensive reports, correspondence and other documents
- Maintain electronic and paper files in an audit-ready fashion
- Ensure 100% compliance with California Employment Training Panel data entry and billing requirements
- Oversee assurance that student and program reports, records and other materials are complete and maintained according to pertinent regulations and contracts and JVSWorks policies and procedures
- Keeps thorough case notes on program students and compile information for and maintain program reports, forms and logs
- Perform related duties as assigned by management
Qualifications and Position Requirements:
The successful candidate will be an outcomes-driven individual with a strong customer service orientation and a minimum of three to five years’ experience demonstrating success in a variety of disciplines that include:
- Must have minimum two years’ experience working in a retail banking environment
- Must have minimum two years’ experience conducting classroom training for adults
- Experience working with multi-cultural and/or low- to moderate-income and/or disadvantaged populations
- One to two years’ experience in client recruitment, enrollment and career assessment and planning
- Proficient in use of PC, Microsoft Office Suite and Internet tools; able to assist students in accessing on-line portions of the training program and job search process
- Strong interpersonal skills and cooperative manner required with an ability to interact effectively with program participants, employers, program funders, JVS staff and other parties.
- Must model appropriate behavior (communication, punctuality, etc.)
- Prior experience in supervision, program/project management, case management and counseling preferred
The successful candidate must also offer: strong career development and coaching skills, organizational skills, resourcefulness, initiative, entrepreneurial spirit, attention to detail, ability to perform comfortably in a business and social service environment, strong written and oral communication/presentation skills, strong interpersonal skills, a high level of tact and diplomacy, public speaking capability, professional appearance, knowledge of on-line career-related resources, social media savvy. Experience in social services delivery. Duties and responsibilities are carried out with considerable independence within the framework of established policies, procedures and guidelines.
Proficiency in the use of Salesforce a plus.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
Must be able to operate standard office equipment; will work in business, classroom and other various settings; frequently stands, walks, sits and climbs in performing duties in the office and at offsite locations; required to talk and hear, both in person and by telephone, use computers and standard office equipment; frequently lifts and carries up to 5lbs, occasionally up to 25lbs; must have reliable transportation for conveyance to locations around greater Los Angeles and Long Beach; may be required to work some evenings and an occasional weekend day.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in social services, social work, education, business or related field. An equivalent combination of experience and education will be considered.
JVS SoCal is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
About JVS SoCal:
Founded in 1931, JVS SoCal is a nonprofit, non-sectarian social service agency, providing job training, career services, mentoring and placement assistance to diverse and multicultural populations, transforming lives and empowering individuals to achieve dignity and economic independence through sustainable employment. JVS SoCal currently serves 40,000 to 50,000 clients annually at over 20 locations throughout Southern California, including Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Orange Counties.