Paid Corporate Research Intern
Description of Our Organization:
Founded in 1931 in the midst of the Great Depression, the legacy of today’s JVS SoCal began with a single desk in a Bunker Hill office in downtown Los Angeles, serving job seekers who were struggling to survive amid overt workplace discrimination. Eight decades later, the agency is a recognized regional leader in the field of workforce development, offering a broad range of innovative programs to 50,000 individuals each year and advocating on issues of public policy that impact the people we service.
Job Description and Duties:
JVS SoCal is expanding its partnerships with corporations with a goal of both adding new corporate partners and deepening our existing partners. These partnerships can participate in our programs as employers of the people we serve and provide funding for our programs.
Our intern will provide the below support to the Director of Corporate Development and Engagement:
- Research and create profiles of individual companies that might have the criteria for providing funding to us that would include basic information on their philanthropic focus, amounts of giving, and alignment with our goals.
- Provide recommendations and prioritize companies in an industry and overall based on certain criteria.
- Maintain our database of prospective and current relationship inputting information as required.
- Attend and help with events as directed and as available. Participate in phone calls, internal meetings and other key learning opportunities as appropriate.
- Create target lists by industry.
- Research key philanthropic attributes of certain industries.
- Seek insights on other nonprofits and organizations in workforce development.
- Create powerpoint presentations as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Our headquarters at 6505 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA. 90048. Working remotely is possible from time to time depending on the nature of the project and by mutual agreement.
You will have the opportunity to learn about:
- How to read and extract information from vital base line corporate business documents
about a company’s business. This is great learning for anyone who wants to enter the
- How and where to find important information about a company’s strategic direction.
- How to analyze and understand a company’s philanthropic strategy and direction.
- Our work in the area of workforce development and that of others.
- How to write good briefs and summary documents.
- How a well-respected nonprofit works.
You will be included in important events, phone calls, and internal meetings to expand your learning.
You will be trained on good research techniques, reporting and philanthropic giving by corporations and foundations.
Ideal Start Date and End Date:
Start: May 10, 2019
End: September 15, 2019
Start and end dates can to some degree, be flexible depending on the candidate’s schedule and our needs.
Ideal Number of Hours a Week:
3 days a week for 8 hours a day. Hours and days of week are flexible depending on class schedule and other commitments.
We are open to having someone work through the Fall if available and interested.
This position will report to Cory Mitchell, the Director of Corporate Development and Engagement.
Qualifications and Position Requirements:
The ability to seek and interpret the most relevant information in order to translate it into a written document in a timely manner.
Strong interpersonal skills to work with a diverse group of people to garner information. Proactive to seek out important information.
Must know how to take initiative to garner information from our staff and other resources. Good writing skills.
Good Powerpoint and Excel skills.
Compensation: Prevailiing minimum wage now at $13.25 an hour through June 30, 2019, then increased to $14.25 on July 1, 2019
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
Will work in an office environment with the exception of attendance of our events, industry events, and/or partner events. Must be able to operate standard office equipment.
High School diploma and currently enrolled in a graduate or undergraduate degree program ideally in business or the nonprofit sector.
Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office-Excel, Powerpoint, and Word.