REAS assists refugees to adjust and adapt to the American Workplace, learn English, and ultimately achieve self-sufficiency. This program is designed to provide employment and training services for eligible refugees residing in Los Angeles County less than five (5) years.
The REAS Case Manager independently manages their caseload, provides clients with a clear understanding of the program and respective role, refers clients to appropriate program components based on appraisals, test results, and program policies and advises clients of program choices.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinates actions in accordance with DPSS, CalWORKs, and GAIN procedures.
- Motivates and provides encouragement to clients to move toward employment and self-sufficiency in effectively conveying the benefits of working.
- Role models professional business attire for clients when performing daily activities.
- Performs various tasks to include office and telephone interview, data entry, scheduling appointments, and other case related activities.
- Reviews employment goals with clients and makes individual job matches.
- Ensures that all clients have a basic resume and have practiced interviewing techniques to begin job search activities.
- Registers and monitors attendance and activities of all clients on caseload.
- Assists clients in locating job openings by utilizing available tools, such as personal computers, fax machines, copiers, employment bulletins, videotapes, and community resources.
- Monitors and reviews the manner in which the job search is being conducted by each client and offers encouragement and suggestions for improving their job search activities.
- Assists clients in resolving scheduling problems and in planning their welfare to work activities.
- Meets all standards established for this position as outlined in the performance criteria.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by management.
- Provides services in a culturally sensitive manner.
- Properly documents all activities in LRS/CalSAWS system, prepares monthly reports, interacts with the DPSS when appropriate.
- Excellent time management skills to perform in fast-paced environment.
- Strong written and communication skills.
- Must be accurate, detail oriented, and possess good follow-through skills.
- Ability to communicate in a sensitive and professional manner with a diverse group of clients. Knowledge of community resources.
- Ability to travel to other locations.
- Experience working with the business community; excellent organizational skills, ability to successfully execute many complex tasks simultaneously; ability to work as a team member as well as independently.
- Must pass criminal and background check prior to hire.
- Bilingual capabilities: (Farsi, Russian, Armenian, Arabic, Spanish).
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; or
- AA Degree and two years of case management experience; or
- AA degree and two years of employment counseling experience; or
- Two years of employment counseling experience in a GAIN environment.
- Strongly preferred: bilingual in Farsi, Russian, Armenian, Spanish, and/or Arabic. Previous experience working with REAS, GAIN, or CalWorks participants.
JVS SoCal is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
About JVS SoCal:
Founded in 1931, JVS SoCal is a nonprofit, non-sectarian social service agency, providing job training, career services, mentoring and placement assistance to diverse and multicultural populations, transforming lives and empowering individuals to achieve dignity and economic independence through sustainable employment. JVS SoCal currently serves 40,000 to 50,000 clients annually at over 20 locations throughout Southern California, including Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Orange Counties.