Job Description and Duties:
- Conduct eligibility determination of Veterans for the Veteran Employment Accelerator Program (VEAP) as well as other available programs.
- Provide comprehensive case management including employability assessment, transferable skills assessment, employment and training plan development, job development, and referrals to other social service programs (as needed).
- Coach Veterans on appropriate civilian and business workplace culture.
- Facilitate job readiness workshops and provide training in various job readiness skills.
- Research career paths that would utilize Veterans’ existing skills.
- Assist clients in writing targeted resumes.
- Responsible for client progress and job placement/wages/retention.
- Track client data in internal and State databases through data entry and comprehensive case notes.
- Must meet contract goals for job placement, training completion, and job retention.
- Develop working relationships with other agencies that provide services to Veterans.
- Will also work as part of a team in developing new grants and funding opportunities.
- Other duties assigned as needed for the efficient operation of the Center/Program.
- Must meet weekly, monthly, quarterly & yearly program goals as set by Operations Manager.
- Outreach may be required in various parts of the Greater Los Angeles area to recruit eligible Veterans and eligible spouses for various JVS SoCal Veteran Services programs.
Qualifications and Position Requirements:
- Must have a passion to work and connect with Veterans.
- A strong customer service and counseling expertise with the ability to multi-task is required.
- Must have excellent communication skills and the ability to write professional resumes utilizing client’s military and non-military transferable skills.
- Must know and understand active duty Military life, the labor market, technology-based career search methods, social media, employer and business needs and requirements.
- Needs to understand and teach the value of networking.
- Timeliness and attention to detail are essential.
- Must take initiative; must think outside the box and at the same time be able to work as part of a team towards unit goals.
- Knowledge of WIOA common measures and requirements are very helpful.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products including Outlook, Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Must be assertive, friendly and willing to work flexible hours to meet objectives and goals.
- Will work in an office environment, travel to employer and client work sites.
- May be required to work some evenings and an occasional weekend day.
- Must be able to operate standard office equipment.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
Must be able to operate standard office equipment including MS Office and travel other offices.
- BA or BS degree in Social Work, Career Counseling or other related fields (may be substituted for experience).
- Three or more years of experience working with priority populations.
- Background and experience in Case Management and/or Career Counseling.
- Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Prior WIOA and/or VEAP experience a plus.
About JVS SoCal:
Founded in 1931, JVS-SoCal is a nonprofit, non-sectarian social service agency, providing job training, career services, mentoring and placement assistance to diverse and multicultural populations, transforming lives and empowering individuals to achieve dignity and economic independence through sustainable employment. JVS SoCal currently serves 40,000 to 50,000 clients annually at over 20 locations throughout Southern California, including Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Orange Counties.