JOIN US TO HELP OUR COMMUNITY! Veterans Employment and Retention Specialist HVRP Los Angeles
Summary Description of Position:
- Outreach in the Greater Los Angeles area to collaborate with Veteran friendly businesses for job placement and retention of Veterans.
- Have the ability to convey the value of Veterans in assisting businesses better obtain their profit goals.
- Conduct presentations to various groups/businesses as it pertains to job placement and retention goals.
- Provide comprehensive case management/assessment activities (as needed).
- Coach Veterans on interview skills, as needed.
- Facilitate job readiness workshops.
- Research civilian career paths that would utilize Veterans’ existing skills.
- Assist clients in writing targeted resumes.
- Responsible for client progress and job placement/wages/retention.
- Track client data in Internal and State databases through data entry and comprehensive case notes.
- Must meet contract goals for job placement, training completion, and job retention.
- Develop working relationships with other agencies that provide services to veterans.
- Will also work as part of a team in developing new grants and funding opportunities.
- Other duties assigned as needed for the efficient operation of the Center/Program.
- Must meet weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly program goals as set by Program Supervisor.
Qualifications and Position Requirements:
- Must have a passion to work and connect in Veteran related areas.
- An experienced sales background and/or conviction in the value of Veterans as they help businesses be even more successful required.
- Must have excellent communication skills and the ability to adjust professional resumes utilizing client’s military and non-military transferable skills.
- Must know and understand active duty military life, employer and business needs and requirements, labor market trends, technology based career search methods.
- Needs to generate a base of Veteran friendly employers.
- Timeliness and attention to detail are essential.
- Must take initiative; must think outside the box and at the same time be able to work as part of a team towards unit goals.
- Knowledge of WIOA common measures and requirements are needed.
- Proficient in Microsoft office products including Outlook, Work, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Must be assertive, friendly and willing to work flexible hours to meet objectives and goals.
Will work in an office environment, travel to employer and client work sites. May be required to work some evenings and an occasional weekend day. Must be able to operate standard office equipment. Requires traveling to various business and other work sites.
BA in Business, Social Service, or related degree. Education may be substituted with experience. Teaching credential or experience is a plus.
Preferred: Background and experience in HVRP Case Management and/or Career Counseling. Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE, good benefits
About JVS SoCal
Founded in 1931, JVS-SoCal is a nonprofit, non-sectarian social service agency, providing job training, career services, mentoring and placement assistance to diverse and multicultural populations, transforming lives and empowering individuals to achieve dignity and economic independence through sustainable employment. JVS SoCal currently serves 40,000 to 50,000 clients annually at over 20 locations throughout Southern California, including Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Orange Counties. For a more complete listing of our programs and services, please see our Resource Guide.