Antelope Valley AJCC is seeking Administrative Assistant, who is Transitional Aged Youth through their own lived experiences, offer encouragement, guidance and hope to their peers (i.e. Youth). The Administrative Assistant for the Antelope Valley AJCC will perform Receptionist duties as well as providing support to the County Workforce Development programs.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed by guiding Youth with the program and services. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment.
- The Administrative Assistant will answer incoming calls and follow-up with prospective Youth participants; as well as meets, greets and informs youth as they enter the building. The Administrative Assistant provides Center and program information regarding all services including accessibility, referrals, and processes. Conducts weekly virtual orientations for programs and track attendance of Youth. Guides Youth in the enrollment process to receive services.
- Supporting the program requires the Administrative Assistant to engage with Youth through phone, email and texts, writing case notes, and scanning and uploading documents. Provide support to Intake Specialist and/or Career Coaches with scheduling appointments. Assist with payroll duties, such as data entry of hours each pay period, organizing/filing timesheets, and verify that work permits are valid while Youth is in work experience.
- The Administrative Assistant may facilitate individual and group intake enrollment and information sessions for Youth on a regular schedule at the center and coordinate offsite and specialty intake sessions for events. The Administrative Assistant communicates program information to applicants and maintains a deep understanding of the purpose and intention of the forms being completed, how they are used and why we use them.
- The Administrative Assistant will develop a broad base of understanding of the different programs and be able to answer questions, responds to customer inquiries, and reach out to customers who do not have complete information for enrollment. Track enrollments and reports information to colleagues and management. Review eligibility documentation and verifies information prior to entering it. Serve as proctor for various assessments including CASAS, Career Zone, and O-Net.
- The position requires mastery of MS office and comfort in learning new applications. The Administrative Assistant will utilize various data bases (CALJOBS, Excel, SharePoint, etc) to enroll participants into applicable programs. The Administrative Assistant must be able to provide reports and communicate performance. Responsible for the timely submission, tracking and data entry of new customer information. Other support duties as assigned in that there will be significant cross training for other tasks.
- Assist with retention and follow-up services by contacting exited youth each quarter. Offer follow-up services and additional support to youth who have exited the program by providing additional job referrals, community resources, and other assistance. Ensure that follow-ups are completed on timely manner.
- Outreach to targeted populations such as CalWORKS youth, a high school dropout, low-income individual and is either basic skills deficient or an English language learner, an offender (an individual directly connected to the justice system-former or current), a homeless individual or a runaway, an individual in foster care or who has aged out of the foster care system (age18 or age 21 for those under extended care, an individual who is pregnant or parenting, an individual with a disability, and any of the programs that need additional support.
- Provide support to Career Coaches by communicating all events (job fairs, workshops, recruitment events, job referrals, and other beneficial information) to the Youth on a weekly basis. Tracking event registrations, confirmation, and successful outcomes.
- The Administrative Assistant coordinates office events, conference room scheduling, and ensuring customers are abiding by office procedures such as checking customers into the VOS Greeter, ensuring Customer Service Satisfaction survey is completed upon leaving the building, and adhering to COVID-19 safety procedures.
- Must attend any state, county, local, or company trainings or meetings.
- Assist with any other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements:
Experience working with diverse communities and/or lived experience; Excellent verbal and written communication skills and attention to detail in documentation; Must have passion for youth and a zeal for seeing them succeed. Experience making cold calls and developing new job leads for assigned clients, a plus. Ability to work in a team environment and independently, meet deadlines, meet performance and encourage others to excel. Candidate must develop and maintain successful working relationships with a diverse range of individuals and ability to research, process and organize a variety of information applicable to youth services. Proficiency in Window/Microsoft Office environment; occasionally work evenings and weekends.
- High School Diploma required.
- In progress (or completion) of Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice, Social Work, Education, Psychology, Sociology or related field, or 60 units of college credit, or equivalent experience preferred.
- At least 1 year in customer service or office setting preferred.
- Must have a valid California driver’s license, excellent driving record, and auto insurance.
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions:
Must be able to operate standard office equipment. Some lifting and carrying of files and significant fine finger dexterity. The job requires 50% sitting, 30% walking and 20% standing. This job is performed in a clean and healthy office environment.
JVS SoCal is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
About JVS SoCal:
Founded in 1931, JVS-SoCal is a nonprofit, non-sectarian social service agency, providing job training, career services, mentoring and placement assistance to diverse and multicultural populations, transforming lives and empowering individuals to achieve dignity and economic independence through sustainable employment. JVS SoCal currently serves 40,000 to 50,000 clients annually at over 20 locations throughout Southern California, including Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Orange Counties.