We support Veterans and military families by providing professional career coaching, assessments to identify transferable skills, training in high-growth industries like IT and cybersecurity, plus job placement assistance. We help veterans connect through networking groups, workshops, and events. Our team provides referrals in partnership with the Veterans American Job Center of California to maximize available benefits, services, training, and educational opportunities.
Job Description and Duties:
The Project Coordinator will work with the Program Manager and other JVS staff involved in the Veterans First program to facilitate and expand the program’s veterans’ groups and vocational and employer-based training opportunities. To work with Veterans through group interaction and one-on-one to achieve the following objectives:
- Assess all Veterans before, during, and after participating in the Veterans First program to identify concrete, value-added changes in their approach to transitioning to civilian life/workplace.
- Utilize interactive methods (e.g., activities and role-playing) to provide Veterans with concrete tools (e.g., vocabulary and behavior) to adapt to civilian life and the workplace. Model these tools when necessary.
- Provide a monthly progress report to demonstrate the effectiveness of the working groups and the combination of social work and workforce development tools in assisting Veterans in their transition from military life/work to the retention of employment in the civilian workplace.
- Perform literature review, assessment of current best practices, and qualitative research serving women veterans.
- Identify critical issues and trends while assessing the needs of women Veterans in California and develop and design an evidence-based curriculum that will offer safe group discussions, activities, and holistic services relevant to female veterans.
- Facilitate and plan with partner Veteran Service Organizations events for Veterans such as symposiums, job fairs, and networking opportunities.
- Coordinate and manage employer-based and vocational training cohorts in high-growth sectors.
Qualifications and Position Requirements:
- Ability to facilitate groups and provide support to a wide variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural, ethnic, educational, veteran communities, and other diversified backgrounds.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients, staff, and representatives of community agencies.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
- Must be able to operate standard office equipment, including MS Office, and travel to other offices.
Education / Certification / Licensure
- BA or BS degree in Social Work, Career Counseling, or other related fields. Three or more years of experience working with Veterans and facilitating Veteran groups.
JVS SoCal is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
About JVS SoCal:
Founded in 1931, JVS SoCal is a nonprofit, non-sectarian social service agency, providing job training, career services, mentoring and placement assistance to diverse and multicultural populations, transforming lives and empowering individuals to achieve dignity and economic independence through sustainable employment. JVS SoCal currently serves 40,000 to 50,000 clients annually at over 20 locations throughout Southern California, including Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Orange Counties.